*Solution* – Cannot access Oracle 10g XE Home Page http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex on Windows XP

I have just installed a brand new Oracle 10g XE and just after installation, I was not able to access the home page.

When I executed the "lsnrctl status" command I got this output:

C:\Documents and Settings\me>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 – Production on 19-ÌUB-2009 00:01:03

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))

STATUS of the LISTENER

————————

Alias                     LISTENER

Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 – Produ

ction

Start Date                18-ÌUB-2009 23:53:29

Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 7 min. 36 sec

Trace Level               off

Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication

SNMP                      OFF

Default Service           XE

Listener Parameter File   D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora

Listener Log File         D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\log\listener.log

Listening Endpoints Summary…

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC_FOR_XEipc)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=a.b.c.d)(PORT=1521)))

Services Summary…

Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service…

Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service…

The command completed successfully

—-

Burning with frustration, I tried the following options.

a)  Reinstalling Oracle 10g XE (2 times actually, once with the admin account) – didn’t work

b)  I tried to change the port to 8081 by using dbms_xdb.sethttpport(8081) – didn’t work either

One thing that I haven’t done however is to lookup installation instructions :D

So I did that; the problematic part for me was : 2.4.1 Configuring for Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I tried it on IE and Chrome; I forgot for a second there that Chrome also uses IE’s settings, so I thought that "I have tried it on 2 different browsers, it is not a browser issue obviously". I was wrong :)

Anyway it is a stupid mistake, but maybe someone else will also make it :) So here is a blog post…

About these ads

10 Comments

  1. Mohammed said,

    April 29, 2009 at 2:27 pm

    Dear Sir
    I have the same problem and i try to solve it by changing connection setting of net explorer but it still not working.
    Please if you solve this problem tell me
    thanks

  2. Ozan said,

    May 1, 2009 at 2:35 am

    Did you follow the installation instructions?
    Unfortunately, I switched off to a remote database instead of a local one, soon after that problem. The connection setting seemed to do the trick for me at the time though.

    You might also look at these links:
    http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/12/24/oracle-xe-solution-to-cannot-access-http-127-0-0-1-8080apex-errors
    http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=395990

  3. Rajiv said,

    September 22, 2009 at 11:48 am

    Hi……..I have the same problem…..If any get this solution then i will thank full

  4. Laur said,

    October 12, 2009 at 4:25 pm

    I’ve tried it but it still doesn’t work…

  5. Francesco said,

    January 22, 2010 at 4:55 am

    Some news? Yesterday all OK on my personal PC, today I try with another PC and “/@#???!!! Merde!

  6. Franco Octavio said,

    April 13, 2010 at 5:38 am

    same problem here… but
    read it and fix it
    thanks bro

  7. David said,

    September 17, 2010 at 7:08 pm

    alguna solucion, ?
    Someone kwon the solution?

    thanks,
    sorry for english bad, i not speak english

  8. Gary Cristofoli said,

    February 3, 2011 at 12:29 am

    I wasted a lot of time on this..
    Check your environment variables and if you have HTTP_PROXY set, delete it!

  9. August 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm

    It’s not working for me.I’m getting the same status as above, and I’ve tried the browser settings and turning off the firewall. Any steps which I might have missed?

  10. Madhu Aditya said,

    August 22, 2011 at 7:14 am

    same here, i have vista home edition, it was working fine for me a two nights ago on google chrome now i can not get to the home page anymore, (all this is happening on the same laptop btw) I had to restart my laptop and sense then i have not been able to access the homepage, I’ve tried reinstalling, shutting down firewalls and antiviruses, blah blah blah, nothing


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: